A cornice is topped by another pediment and the sloping roof gives way for a central octagonal drum atop which rests a dome.The large dome is topped by a balustraded balcony, another octagonal drum and a lantern capped by a lightning rod.
A mannequin of Washington in period clothing stands in the room.
The decision established the requisite unanimous consent of all thirteen states for the formation of a Perpetual Union.
A report of their findings was issued in January 2010 and work continues.
The Senate chamber is located in a wing added to the original structure between 19.
The desk for the president is an original piece made by John Shaw in 1797.
Above the fireplace is the painting Washington, Lafayette & Tilghman at Yorktown by Charles Willson Peale; the work was commissioned by the Maryland Legislature in 1783 and added to the State House collection the following year.
The rod was constructed and grounded according to the direct specifications of its inventor, Benjamin Franklin.
An annex to the State House was constructed between 19 under the supervision of Baltimore architects Baldwin & Pennington; the new annex replaced earlier 19th-century annexes.
In 2017, two additional paintings, both from the collection of the Enoch Pratt Free Library—were hung above the staircase.