The car must also be taxed, insured, displaying valid registration numbers and 'L' plates.If the car fails to meet any of these requirements, the examiner will point out the problem, and will give you about 5 minutes to fix it, failure to fix this issue will result in the driving test being terminated and you losing the test fee.Holding an out-of-date or otherwise invalid licence does not remove your entitlement to drive but further action, including the possibility of a fine, can come about if you need to show your licence to a policeman, hire a car or commit a driving offence abroad.

Those a little further away would usually have to take the practicle exam.

If you have an automatic licence from your home country, then you can only drive automatics over here.

You can continue driving while you wait for your new licence to arrive.

You may apply for your licence two months before your 17th birthday using a D1 application form which is available from the post office. You will need the following documents in order to complete your application form; 1. Identity card issued by a member state of the European Community/European Economic Area (EC/EEC)*with the exception of Sweden.3. The examiner needs to be satisfied that the car is roadworthy.

If you passed your motorcycle test after 1 February 2001, you will need to pass a car theory test before taking a practical test.

You need to be over 21 and have held your licence for 4 years plus with little or no points.

Check to see if your local council offers a "cash back" scheme.

In some cases you can reclaim as much as 50% of the costs.

It's a 3 hour lecture/insight into safer driving by the police, trying to raise driver awareness of what has happened.

You can only go once, after that, you'll be picking up the points.

You'll need to provide evidence of your name change.